Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Blocking along...

Ok, so it's nul points for originality, but I have succumbed to the economy block craze which seems to have infected most of blogland! Admittedly, it's the first time I've managed to join any sort of sewalong at the time it took place, generally I've caught up months later. This one happened to coincide with me already wanting to do something with the few bits of feature fabric in my possession, so it's actually serving a purpose...


Only four done so far, but these are a little larger than the standard block, and come out at nearly 9 inches.


I definitely wouldn't have enough central fabrics for hundreds of these, but will hopefully manage a small, fun quilt. Would anyone in the UK be interested in a small swap of a few centre pieces? I could probably find around a dozen to send. My centres start off as 4 inches square, which is what I would need to receive in a swap, but I could send a different size.


Last week I purchased the fabrics on the right from Seamstar, and was promptly lead astray again to add the ones on the left, this time from The Village Haberdashery. Unfortunately there was a slight error in my order, but that is being sorted out. The fabric with the birds on isn't the one I ordered, but I have been told to keep it! So, do I include it in the quilt? This is what I have in mind so far...


In sadder news this week, we were all heartbroken to have to say goodbye to our beautiful black cat, Meggy. She was nearly eighteen, and had lived with my husband and I for over seventeen years, enriching our lives in so many ways. We are hugely thankful for the time we had with her, but miss her terribly.
 

This week I'm linking up to the fabulous slow blogger movement. Not that I've been all that slow lately, but I love the ethos of blogging as and when I am able, and not under pressure.

15 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your cat, sounds like she had a good life though. I can send you some squares, drop me an email with your address and what you'd like and I'll have a rummage for you. I plan to do some blocks at some point to make an unseasonal table runner for our house but haven't started yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, lamento mucho que Meggie, ya no esté con vosotros, será una gran pérdida.
      Un gran abrazo.

      Delete
  2. I been wanting to join the economy block craze too and haven't had the time. I hope I get to it the block looks super fun to make. I love your blocks specially the one with the chicken.
    So sorry to hear about your cat. Our pets become part of our families and it is hard to see them go. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry about your cat - we have one about the same age and I know very well what a big hole they leave behind.

    Love your blocks - especially the chicken! I might have a couple of centres to send you - will poke about! Thanks very much for linking up:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry about your cat - we do miss our pets when they leave us

    I have also been resisting the economy blocks for the same reason, so I would be glad to swap some squares with you - I am in Wales

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really sorry to hear about your cat, they are such great companions. Love your blocks, especially that funky chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chicken block truly does look funky and cool, and the birds on a wire block is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about Meggy :-(
    I love your choice of new fabrics you have bought - and very cute economy blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about Meggy.
    I'm refraining from joining in the quilt a long so don't need to swap but would be thrilled to send you some squares. I don't have many fabrics with feature fabrics but should be able to find a few. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Maria, I won't join in but will look through my stash and see what I can send you. As a fellow cat lover / owner, I know how terribly sad you must be feeling but you gave Meggy a wonderful life and I'm sorry for your sadness :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sorry to hear about your cat. We have a black cat too and they're special, aren't they?
    I love your economy blocks, I've been very tempted too but have resisted so far. Love your fabric too. You've got some of my favourites! Sorry I'm in Italy and can't swap... I would maybe only change the red in the top left hand corner for the quilt, but maybe the colours in the photo are a little different...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fran.lamento lo de tu gato.

    Me encantan todos tus bloques "Economy blocks", son maravillosos y he estado tentada pero por ahora lo he añadido a mi larga lista.
    Tus telas son preciosos y si tuviera que quitar alguna sería la verde con pájaros grises.

    Bsos y buen fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cats become so much part of the family huh? Hope you are doing ok. I could send you some "middles" if you want

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really, really sorry to hear about your cat - mine is 16 and isn't looking very well at the moment (she's off to have have her teeth cleaned and blood tests next week, but I think age is catching up with her). Lovely quilt blocks. Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about your cat. I'm sure it feels like a huge loss.

    ReplyDelete