Saturday, 22 February 2014

Flight...

Blue sky! Sunshine! At long last, an opportunity to whip outside for a photo...


This backing fabric was a huge extravagance, but oh so worth it! When I look at it, I don't so much see birds, as the expression of flight, in a glorious and colourful way... Excuse the creases, it has already been in use this week, before any hope of getting a photo. The front of the quilt is not too shabby either -


This was a great way to use the charms from the recent low volume charm square swap, along with more of my own. For the quilting, I went with simple swirls and loops, working in columns from the top down, but not touching the stars. When you look up close, this really helps the stars leap out. I love how this quilt looks, but am itching for more LV squares now...


Julie's inspiration meant I stitched and sewed every one of the cut off triangles from the star points... It slowed me down, and was quite fiddly, but how about a result of two cushion covers from what might have been thrown away?!? 


With a dog and a cat, I like to keep things covered in something easily removable for washing. For the time being, the quilt has found a home on the sofa, and is greatly appreciated...


I've been so slow to blog, I thought I might have missed the Slow Bloggers linky, how would that be for irony? However, it's still going, so let's join in...

http://www.knottedcotton.com/p/slow-blog-manifesto.html

13 comments:

  1. Yay, beautiful! What a fantastic result - you must be so pleased:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love your quilt and the backing fabric you've used. Your cat appreciates, I see! Great use of the scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is superb, I love it, I've not touched my LV charms yet but this has inspired me to try and fit them in somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wonderful quilt and I love how you used the off cut triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just lovely ! :-) I've yet to break into my low volume charms, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely stunning Fran. So glad you went with your heart and bought that beautiful fabric - it has made a special quilt extra special :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful and you are right that backing fabric is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks absolutely fantastic. And I love the way your cat loves your work.
    Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Es espectacular,tanto el top como la trasera me encantan.Feliz semana!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me encanta como te ha quedado, la trasera... ya sabes... y los cojines son chulísimos. Un conjunto de lujo para el sofá, que disfruta a placer tu gatito.
    Bss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilt, lovely cushions. Got a pile of triangles left over from tonights project, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt and cushions are lovely and how nice it to see some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That backing is so wonderful! I love that it means more than just birds to you. The front is beautiful too!!

    ReplyDelete