Saturday, 25 April 2015

Curve balls...

This morning I received the most beautiful Artist Trading Card, as part of the swap organised by Ali...


I really hit the jackpot here, and hope this sweet white rabbit brings me lots of luck! 
 

As one swap ends, I am already busy with the next one! This one in predominantly taking place on instagram, where I am @patchyroses. The aim is to make a handstitched mini quilt, for a surprise partner. This is where I'm up to so far, they may not all make the final piece...
 

My wish list is long, and for some time I've been tucking away fat quarters ready for a St Louis 16 patch. The design does use most of a fat quarter, but leaves a little bit left over, handy for smaller projects. My need for the leftovers is, ironically, what has kick started the sewing! I rather like this first block...


And the curve ball? During the Easter holidays, Rosie and I were meant to go to Madrid, where we were very much looking forward to meeting Mavi.  With bags packed, and just hours to go before we were due to leave, I received an email cancelling the flight! The next few hours were very stressful, involving the poorest of customer service from the airline, and we were forced to abandon the trip. However, with some fast thinking, we looked into holiday cottages, found a great last minute deal, and headed off to Cornwall...


Only 24 hours after we were supposed to land in Madrid, we were tucking into cream tea in Port Isaac! We ended up enjoying the most fabulous week - eight days of constant sunshine and blue skies, with empty beaches and turquoise sea :-)


We loved visiting the Old Post Office in Tintagel, and the beautiful little church of St Enodoc, where Sir John Betjeman is buried.


Obviously I googled patchwork shops, and we made a trip to a lovely studio in Launceston. They had just put on a quilting exhibition, which included an amazing replica of the church of St Enodoc...

 
 This was the kind of scenery we enjoyed all week - so unspoilt.


 You may know Port Isaac as the village where Doc Martin is filmed. I thought the programme had ended, but who should turn up to film the new series, but Martin Clunes himself :-)


Martin, and the cast and crew, were fabulous. He made such a fuss of the dog, and there were no objections to us enjoying watching the filming - a fascinating experience!


All in all, I had such a relaxing holiday, coming home very refreshed. Oh, and someone else voted it the best week of her life... ;-)




18 comments:

  1. We can't believe you went to 'Port Wenn' and met the fab Martin Clunes! We watch Doc Martin whenever it's on and have often said we'll go there! So two 'green with envy' people here, but glad you had such a good time - and, as ever, love the quilting photos, especially the star ones.
    Love to you both, Granny and Addy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did wave at the Taunton sign as we sped past!

      Delete
  2. Love that 16-patch fabric ... I don't think I have any of that fabric - more shopping?! I think not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A curve ball indeed. Such a lovely swap item you received. It could be the door of a little cottage in Cornwall. Your hand pieced blocks are so pretty too.
    How lovely to to meet Martin Clunes and watch the filming. I hope you get to go to Madrid soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad that you ended up having a relaxing and fun holiday. Love your little ATC, and looking forward to seeing your progress on the hand-stitched mini :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pleased your week turned out well in the end. I've only ever visited Cornwall in height of season, and I love it even then. I bet its even better at this time of year. I love your progress on the hand stitched mini. You're well ahead of the game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a lovely post to read. The disappointment... and then the positive outcome. So glad you had a good time. Cornwall is lovely.

    How can they do that? Just cancel a flight and not help sort you out with another one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the blossom in the pictures. Is that your garden?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip, there is nothing more aggravating than poor customer service is there? The quick thinking certainly worked out well and it looks like you had a wonderful relaxing break. Your little dog definitely got lucky, she would not have had nearly as much fun if you had left her to go to Madrid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, the customer service was shocking... As if they'd just cancelled the bus into town, not an entire holiday. However, it worked out well :-)

      Delete
  9. I love those cards we see in blogland and Instagram, some are truly little pieces of art like the one you are showing us today, lucky indeed.
    It seems like you had a delightful escapade with your daughter and looks like a beautiful place to visit. I'm glad it all worked out at the end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. After the disappointment of not being able to go to Madrid I'm so relieved for you that everything went so happily after that. Your holiday looks wonderful and the card you received is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering how you got on in Spain and instead you were in Cornwall, having a lovely time there! So glad everything worked out well and the scones look delicious (and the scenery too, of course!). I'm going to have to make some as you can't get them here...
    The ATC card is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fran,no sabes como me alegro que por fin después de tanto stres pudierais disfrutar de esos días de vacaciones. Las fotos son preciosas y muestran un paisaje maravilloso y mucha calma, que bueno posar con el actor. Menos mal que todo se arregló. Lástima no habernos podido conocer en persona, espero que alguna vez podamos hacerlo.
    Un gran abrazo para ti y Rosita.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh ... You were in my part of the world. Hope you enjoyed Cowslip Workshops exhibition, my quilt group made one of the Saint quilts. I saw them hung in Truro cathedral. Pleased that your changed plans worked out well as the weather was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear about the late flight cancellation, but really pleased you managed to find such a fabulous sounding alternative....and you got to meet Martin Clunes, that sounds like great fun! Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you liked the ATC! Shame about Madrid but Tintagel is beautiful, I've been a few times and love wandering around Merlin's cave and King Arthur's castle. It's a beautiful place. Very envious of the mini quilt swap partner who receives those star blocks! Itching to do some more EPP myself, branching out from hexies. It's all those gorgeous Pasacaglia cogs popping up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful week it must have been, though I am a little biased towards the South West!

    ReplyDelete